Monday, February 27, 2012

:: Party Details - "best cake ever" recipe

So, here it is, ladies and gents.
The BEST cake recipe out there!
And I'm not just saying that.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake
{can be found here on food.com}

2 (18 ounce) boxes white cake mix (Betty Crocker or Pillsbury)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 2⁄3; cups water
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons real vanilla
2 teaspoons almond extract
2 cups sour cream
8 large egg whites



  • Directions:


    1. 1
      Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk.
    2. 2
      Add the remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
    3. 3
      Pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan a little over half full.
    4. 4
      Lightly tap cake pans on counter to bring air bubbles to top.
    5. 5
      Bake in preheated 325° F oven until cake tests done.
    6. 6
      Baking time varies according to the size and depth of pans being used.
    7. 7
      I used Wilton's Bake Even Strips on my cake pans to ensure a level-topped cake which required absolutely no trimming-- I highly recommend these, or good quality professional baking pans.
    8. 8
      In 2" deep pans, this recipe makes:
    9. 9
      One 14" round and one 6" round
    10. 10
      or One 16" round
    11. 11
      or One 12" round and one 10" round
    12. 12
      or One 12 X 18" sheet cake
    13. 13
      or One 12" round and one 8" round and one 6" round
    14. 14
      or Two 9" squares.
    15. 15
      or 5 dozen cupcakes.
    16. 16
      Half the recipe makes:
    17. 17
      Two 7" rounds
    18. 18
      or Two 6" rounds and 6 cupcakes.
    19. 19
      For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes and substitute 6 whole eggs for the egg whites.
    20. 20
      For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe.
    21. 21
      For berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.
    22. 22
      For lemon cake: substitute lemon juice for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe, use 6 whole eggs instead of the whites, stir in 1 Tblsp lemon zest, and use 1 tsp of a good lemon extract in place of the almond.
    23. 23
      For white chocolate: melt 8oz white baking chocolate & cool slightly. use 6 whole eggs in the recipe instead of the whites, temper the chocolate by stirring in a small amount of the batter, then add the white chocolate to the entire batter and stir well. Doesn't bake up quite as high as the original, so add a pinch more batter to the pans.

      So, there you go! 
       The only thing I don't add in, is the almond extract {can't stand the stuff}, but it's still delicious without it!
      Thank you, Lesley of Kensington Blue.  
      I will be forever indebted to you!

      Oh, and the shabby apple giveaway ends tonight!
      Don't forget to enter! {there might be low entries}

      I'll be linking to these parties here.
  • 54 comments:

    1. Mmmmm, that looks yummy. Thanks for the recipe.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow what an impressive looking cake! So beautiful! Love all the different shades of pink! Just lovely!

      ReplyDelete
    3. This looks amazing! I would love for you to link up at my Link Party via: www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

      Mrs. Delightful
      www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    4. That looks super yummy! Can you link it up to hoo's got talent tomoroow instead of Hoo are you over at night owl crafting please and thanks so much!

      ReplyDelete
    5. That looks so pretty and very delicious too. You are so clever!

      Best wishes,
      Natasha In Oz

      ReplyDelete
    6. That is absolutely delicious! Oh my just reading it makes me hungry. Gorgeous pictures as well.

      Love for you to share this at my Wednesday's "Made by ME" linky party here:
      http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2012/02/made-by-me-20-linky-party.html

      ReplyDelete
    7. This cake looks really delicious! :-)

      ReplyDelete
    8. WOW! This cake is gorgeous!! Sounds amazing too!! Pinning this! :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Ohhh I love pink cakes!! it looks sooo good!! come link to my party if you'd like :) it runs from Tues-Frid :)

      ReplyDelete
    10. Not only looks and sounds yummy but LOVE the variations in the layers! Beautiful!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Delicious AND beautiful? What more could you ask for? I'm pinning it!

      Erin
      takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    12. it's such a PRETTY cake. i don't know if i could eat it. i definitely could not create it! you've got talent! i would love for you to add this to my new link party... spreading the love. please go check it out if you are interested!
      http://lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com/search/label/spread%20the%20love%20link%20party
      {love} lauryn @ love notes by lauryn

      ReplyDelete
    13. Thank you for linking this up at Fantabulous Friday!! I love it! My daughter saw it and of course now wants one....because of the Pink! It's too pretty to eat!

      ReplyDelete
    14. looks so delish that I am pinning this!

      ReplyDelete
    15. I have pinned it! How did you get it pink?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. they have neon food colors! just check in your local grocery store and they should have them.

        Delete
    16. Oh wow!! Bookmarking this.. I gotta give it a try to see if its the best cake ever! ;)

      Found you on TT & J! I would love for you to come by and link this and any other projects you have at my Create & Inspire Party! :)

      http://www.littleinspiration.com/2012/03/crete-inspire-party-plus-top-5-features.html

      Hope to see you there.. ;)

      Regards,
      Angie

      P.S New follower

      ReplyDelete
    17. Found you on serenity you... this looks amazing - I might have to go and make some right now! (but then how to explain the dirty cake pans and decided lack of cake to DH?

      ReplyDelete
    18. How did you get the different shades of pink? I'd like to try this. Thank you.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I put equal amounts of the batter in 4 separate bowls and in the first bowl put 1 drop of food coloring, second - about 3 or 4 drops food coloring, third - about 7 drops, fourth - about 10-11 drops

        Delete
    19. I have to laugh because the reason I thought it sounded good was because of the almond flavoring - and then you mentioned that you can't stand it! ha! I love the stuff!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That's funny! I love almonds separately . . . just not the flavoring in foods. :)

        Delete
    20. Beautiful AND Delish? I've got to try this. I'd love you to link this up to my first linky party and share it with my readers! http://burlapanddenim.com/2012/03/party-on-mondays-1/

      ReplyDelete
    21. Sounds amazing but I am a little confused. What did u use for icing??

      ReplyDelete
    22. WOW!!!


      Featuring this today on Serenity Saturday link party!!!

      Natasha xxx

      www.serenityyou.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    23. Amy, this is gorgeous and sounds so yummy. I'm pinning it! I'm a new follower. Found you at Serenity You.

      ReplyDelete
    24. Hi, it looks and sounds delicious! I'll be using your recipe for my sister's baby shower but what did you use for the frosting/icing? I'll think I'll make cupcakes though.

      ReplyDelete
    25. What kind of icing did you use? I'd love to try this.

      ReplyDelete
    26. Ok, am I crazy? How do u do the pink layers??? Add more flour to the cake mix?? Icing??

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're not crazy . . . many people have asked me that. :) I bought neon food coloring at the grocery store. 1st layer I did 1 drop, 2nd layer - 3 drops, 3rd layer - 6 drops, and so on. Good luck!

        Delete
    27. Thanks for sharing this recipe! :-) It looks delicious , I will try this :-)

      ReplyDelete
    28. Do you have to change the recipe since the cake mix has less than 18oz now? I think it's 15.25oz.

      ReplyDelete
    29. I just featured this darling party idea in a series on my blog called "My Favorite 5 Pins". So creative!!
      http://www.bddesignblog.com/2013/09/my-favorite-5-pins-week-35.html

      ReplyDelete
    30. I know a lot of recipes for white chocolate cake that add a thing of white chocolate pudding mix do you thing this would work well here? The new boxes of bedding crocker are also only 15.25oz should I add anything to make up for that?

      ReplyDelete
    31. Could I get your frosting recipe?

      ReplyDelete
    32. Does this recipe make enough batter for 3 or 4 9" round cake pans? If not, how much he does it make? Should I double it?

      ReplyDelete
    33. You'll definitely have enough. No need to double it. :)

      ReplyDelete
    34. You'll definitely have enough. No need to double it. :)

      ReplyDelete
    35. What brand of food coloring did you use to make your layers such a pretty pink.Also I didn't say a recipe for your frosting . The recipe for the layers looks awesome cannot wait to try it..

      ReplyDelete
    36. Does this also work with yellow cake? What changes would I need to make, if not...

      ReplyDelete