Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Crafts: freezer paper stenciling

This little girl can't wait to meet her little sis. 2 more weeks left . . . and counting. She's ready. And so am I!

One of the projects I wanted to finish before having this little one, was to make big sister/little sister shirts. I'd always wanted to try out the freezer paper stenciling and thought this was the perfect opportunity.

Made has a great tutorial on freezer paper stenciling. Go here to check it out.

-I don't have a fancy program and just made my design off of Microsoft Word. The owls were part of the clipart.

-I was able to print it off right onto the freezer paper (you want the ink on the dull side and not on the shiny side).

- Then you have the really fun part (definite sarcasm coming through - - if you couldn't tell). You get to cut it out with an exacto knife. This is the longest process (if you have words - - tiny words).


- Iron on the freezer paper (shiny side down) to the shirt.

-Use fabric paint (I used the Tulip brand) to blot the paint on the shirt and let dry for 3-4 hours.

-When you're done, you'll get something cute like the shirts above. (this was my first time and I did have some bleeding through - - especially with the name Reese. Need to figure out what to do next time.)

Ava absolutely loved her shirt. She couldn't stop looking at the finished product on herself. I can't wait to get a picture with the girls in them together.



I'll be linking to some of the parties below.


13 comments:

  1. Those are adorable. I love owls too! Very cute! Thanks for linking up at Trendy Treehouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow how cute are they. Very clever

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever, I guarantee you'll get compliments galore as those sisters venture out in public! Love that they are so personal too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute!! Can't wait to see them together in their shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute & the bows in their hair match too! Too sweet. Love for you to link this up over at Wiccan Make Some Too's Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/2010/11/wickedly-crafty-saturdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. I'm thinking I'd be cutting out the stuff on the Cricut, because my patience is non-existent. What a fun project, though. I need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stupid question.... Do you leave the freezer paper on the shirt?
    LOVE them they are so cute

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my link party! Wait til you see the disaster that happened when I tried doing this without freezer paper. (groan) Yup I ruined the shirt. Gonna have to post it no matter how painful it is.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW..what a cutie pie and I bet she is sooo excited about almost being a BIG sister. How fun is that!!! I love this tut, thank you for sharing this with us. I hope we will get to see a pic of the two sisters in their very cute mommie made shirts.

    Hugs,
    Regi

    Hasn't Beth's party over at Wiccan Make Some Too's Wickedly Crafty Saturday been Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These turned out adorable! Love the cute owls!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are SO cute! So, did you just cut out tiny pieces of freezer paper and iron them on for the owl eyes and beaks?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I'm totally impressed. And a bit jealous because there is no WAY I could cut all that out with an exacto knife... you should totally pat yourself on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking this with Wickedly Crafty Saturdays!

    ReplyDelete