Wednesday, January 18, 2012

:: Refashioning - shirt to toddler skirt

For our family pictures in November, I'd had this color palette all worked out in my head.
Maybe it looked a little too halloween-ish (I added in black), but I thought it worked.

I was wanting to make the girls outfits but I ended up just making their skirts.
{which was fine with me}

For Ava's skirt, I wanted to use this woman's XL top.
I'd found it at Downeast Basics on clearance and thought I'd resize it to fit me,
 but that never happend {the story of my life},
 so I knew it'd make a perfect skirt.

It already had shirring.
 {that's what it's called, right? - - I'm still a beginner sewer}
So, 
1.  I just cut across a few inches above
2.  folded over right above the shirring
3. then sewed it.
4.  I next got out my elastic and measured it to Ava's waist
5.  I pinned the elastic to the shirring and did zig-zag stitches across it

Turned out to be cute, definitely not professionally done,
but it worked. 


This is what it ended up looking like.
It's a little big, but she'll grow into it.


And there's my little cheese-ball.
{the skirt underneath is this skirt from DowneastGirl}


I'll be linking to these parties here.

2 comments:

  1. Adorable! You've got the right word, just spelled "shirring" or "shirred".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out so cute! Found you through Delightful Order. I have a blouse from Down East that I want to turn into a skirt too, this is just the inspiration I needed to get going on it! Would love for you to come link up to Trendy Tots at http://areal-lifehousewife.blogspot.com/2012/01/what-she-wore-wednesday-and-trendy-tots.html

    ReplyDelete